Public counter process during construction extended
Published on October 31, 2023
Lakewood’s Community Development and Public Works customer service counter at the north end of City Hall has been undergoing renovations and that portion of the work is nearly complete.
The next phase of the remodeling project involves the Finance & Administrative Services counter in the same portion of City Hall, so the current temporary service process will remain in place until early spring 2024.
We apologize for the inconvenience during construction, but the work will lead to a more efficient and pleasant experience for residents in the future.
As a reminder
- The north doors of City Hall will remain closed through the completion of the construction project. Please enter from the south end of City Hall.
- Making a water or trash payment? You can still use the drop-box for payments outside of the northwest door of City Hall.
How to get in-person service during the construction period
- Please enter City Hall from the south by the Recreation & Community Services Department.
- Check in at the Public Information counter in the middle of the building to be served by the Community Development, Public Works or Finance & Administrative Services departments.
- Staff at the check-in counter will arrange for the appropriate personnel for the three departments above to come meet you in the hallway waiting area near Public Information. Those personnel can help you with making payments for trash, water or parking citations, or with planning, building or public works service.
- Personnel from those departments will be available between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on alternate Fridays.
During the renovation, in-person services such as permitting, plan checks, planning review, oil kits, used battery drop-off, and sharps containers will be limited, causing longer than normal wait times.
Special hours for issuing building permits
If you need a building permit, please be sure to arrive at least one hour before regular closing time.
No building permits will be issued after 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, or after 4 p.m. on alternating Fridays, due to the complexity and time needed for the verification process.
Get service online, by phone or email
To save time, we encourage customers to access these services online, by email, or by phone, including: