Help Project Shepherd
Help is needed throughout the year. Donations are always accepted at the Burns Community Center, Lakewood City Hall, or any city park facility. Click on www.lakewoodcity.org/parkfinder to locate a park in your neighborhood.
In addition, flyers for seasonal needs (backpack drive, holiday giving) are posted at the bottom of the page.
Food and personal care items
- Dry, non-perishable food items such as cereal, sugar, flour, pasta, rice and beans
- Canned meat, fish, fruit, vegetables and soup
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Laundry detergent
- Toilet paper
- Toothpaste, shampoo and soap
- Toys for children (Barbies, Legos, Hot Wheels, board games, craft kits, Disney princess dolls)
- Gifts for teenagers (fragrance sets, basketball, football, soccer ball, CDs, curling iron, blanket)
- Practical items for seniors, such as umbrellas and grooming items
- Choose a Teddy Bear Tree ornament and fulfill the specific wish of a child in need (Teddy Bear Trees are displayed at City Hall and park facilities beginning in late November)
- Backpacks and school supplies are collected in the summer - when the program is active, the donation list will appear at the bottom of this page
During the December giving program, donations of food items and gifts may be dropped off at:
Burns Community Center, 5510 Clark Avenue
Monday through Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Call 562-925-7512 before dropping off the items.
Lakewood City Hall, 5050 Clark Avenue
Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and alternate Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Donation bins are available near the check-in station inside City Hall. Park in the Clark Avenue lot and enter through the westside entrance.
Donations of any amount, whether by check or credit card, help Project Shepherd fill the gap in providing items not otherwise donated. The cash equivalent of the cost of groceries for a traditional holiday dinner for four goes a long way. Everything donated to Project Shepherd goes to those who need it most.
It's easy to give--use the online form to donate by credit card or print out the form below and mail it with a check to:
Lakewood Project Shepherd
c/o Rotary Club of Lakewood
5050 Clark Avenue
Lakewood, California 90712
Cash contributions are fully deductible on both state and federal income tax returns. (Project Shepherd's federal tax identification number is 91-2044777. The program's state tax identification number is 22570575.)
Shop Amazon and help Project Shepherd
If you designate Lakewood Project Shepherd as your "smile" charity, .5% of each purchase you make will be donated by Amazon to Project Shepherd. There are just two steps to do this:
1. Click on the logo below, or type in and bookmark this secure link: https://smile.amazon.com/
2. Once you log in, you'll be asked to choose a charity. Type in "Lakewood Project Shepherd" and confirm your choice.
Then, shop as usual. And each time you go back to Amazon, be sure to use the https://smile.amazon.com link you bookmarked so all your eligible purchases will be counted towards a donation to Project Shepherd. It's easy and there's no extra cost to you!
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, volunteer opportunities this year will be limited.
If you are interested in volunteering, email RCSBurns@lakewoodcity.org. Volunteer opportunities will be granted on an as-needed basis.