Aquatics in Lakewood
The City of Lakewood typically operates two public swimming pools and six wading pools throughout the summer season.
For the 2021 summer season, all city aquatics programming will be at the Mayfair Pool. The city has permitted use of McCormick Pool to the Lakewood Family YMCA.
The season typically begins in late May, with pre-summer swim lessons and recreation swim starting Memorial Weekend.
See the current schedule and registration deadlines of all aquatics offerings through Lakewood's recreation catalog.
To be sure you hear the latest information on Lakewood's plans, please subscribe to our free weekly eMagazine.
Each swimming pool typically offers a variety of swim instruction programs, recreational swim opportunities, and adult fitness classes including Aqua Zumba and Shallow Water Aerobics classes. Check the current recreation catalog for information.
Lakewood swim classes coincide with the Red Cross Certified Swim Classes and offer instruction in these categories:
- Youth: For infant/preschool children ages 6 months to 5 years, and Levels 1-6 for ages 6-15 years
- Adaptive: Introduction to water and swimming lessons for those with special needs (ages 3-17), such as hearing or visual impairment, developmental disabilities and special physical needs.
- Semi-private swim lessons: Maximum three students per class. Limited time slots scheduled.
- Private swim lessons: One instructor and one student. Offered on Saturdays at McCormick Pool (5 classes of 20 minutes instruction) and during post-summer at Mayfair Pool (8 classes of 20-minute instruction).
- Adult: For ages 16 and older. Four one-hour lessons are typically offered for a two-week session.
Registration is available to everyone online at www.lakewoodcity.org/ecatalog or in person. Residents enjoy priority early online registration for swim lessons.
2021 Summer Pool Rules
For fees and complete information, see the current Aquatics schedule.
- Come ready to swim in your swimsuit.
- Unaccompanied swimmers are required to be at least 48 inches tall or have a valid Minnow (Level 4) Red Cross swimming card. Youngsters not meeting this requirement must be accompanied in the pool area by an adult (18 years or older) on a one-to-one basis.
- Swim diapers must be worn by all children four years and younger and are available for purchase at the pool.
- Approved swimsuits are required. No cut off pants, leotards, sweats, baseball shorts or shirts are allowed (rash guards only). Suits and towels are not provided.
- Only those in proper swimwear may remain on the pool deck. All others must stay on the grass area.
- Swimmers with long hair must tie their hair in a ponytail.
- No toys, inflatables, water wings or life jackets (except Coast Guard-approved) allowed in the pool.
- As part of ongoing training, City of Lakewood pool personnel may participate in emergency drills during recreational swimming, lap swim, swim lessons and rentals.
- Minimum enrollment required for each class.
- Each session includes 9 days of instruction and 1 fun day. Students may be moved to the most developmentally appropriate level.
- Classes are subject to cancellation and class schedule is subject to change.
Recreation Swim returns this summer for the 4th of July weekend. Mayfair Pool will host Recreation Swim July 3-4 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and from 2:45 to 4:15 p.m.
Starting Monday, July 19, sessions will be offered:
- Monday-Friday: 1 - 2:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: 1 - 2:30 p.m. and 2:45 - 4:15 p.m.
- Sundays: 2:45 - 4:15 p.m.
The cost for residents is $1.00 for kids and $1.50 for adults. The cost for non-residents is $2.00 for kids and $3.00 for adults.
Wading pools are free and are typically open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., for youngsters ages 3-7, from mid June to early September.
- Palms – Handicapped accessible
Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
- Del Valle
- San Martin
Open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday:
- Mae Boyar
Wading Pool Wednesdays
The wading pools at Del Valle, Mayfair, Palms and San Martin parks are typically open from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings from late June to late August.
Wading pools are usually open on the weekends from late May to late September between 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.