Recycling Services for Multi-Family Complexes
Residents and multi-family complex managers can take advantage of recycling opportunities in the city by contacting the city's recycling coordinator in the Public Works Department.
With funding from the state's Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery, known as "CalRecycle," the city has developed a pilot program to assist complexes with starting or improving their recycling programs. Residents and facility managers are encouraged to call and learn more about in-unit recycling containers at (562) 866-9771 x 2507.
The city program helps by providing educational materials. The program can also provide apartment residents with small, portable "in-unit recycling containers" to help them collect their recyclables.
Depending on needs, EDCO, the city's refuse contractor, will provide facility managers with an appropriate number of large blue recycling bins for their complex. General program information and outreach materials can be also requested.
Facilities can establish a commercial recycling service similar to that enjoyed by Lakewood businesses by calling the same number.
Items that can be recycled include:
- Cans (aluminum, tin, and steel)
- Cardboard (flatten all boxes, please)
- Glass bottles and jars (all colors)
- Mixed paper (file folders, junk mail, etc)
- Newspapers (including the inserts and coupons)
- Plastic containers (marked #1 through #7 or labeled “California Redemption Value”)
Please note that styrofoam is NOT included in the state list of recyclable containers.
- Telephone books and magazines
- White and colored paper (computer, writing)
For more information on multi-family recycling, please contact EDCO at 562-531-3054 or visit their website at www.edcodisposal.com.