The City of Lakewood encourages residents to take proactive measures to protect the catalytic converter on their vehicles.
To help, Lakewood is offering residents an opportunity to receive rebates for two types of theft prevention measures:
1. VIN engraving on catalytic converter by an automotive service business or auto repair center: $25 rebate per vehicle
2. Purchase and installation of one of the two eligible catalytic converter anti-theft devices listed below: $50 rebate per vehicle
- Catalytic Converter Protection Shield
- Catalytic Converter 'CatClamp' style lock
The rebate program is offered on a first-come, first-served basis to Lakewood residents who have had professional engraving done and/or purchased and installed a theft-prevention device on or after March 22, 2022.
You may apply for either or both types of rebates for up to two rebates per VIN engraved and/or two anti-theft devices installed, per residential address.
Rebates are available until program funding is expended – apply early for best opportunity at receiving a rebate.
How to apply
- Apply online (be prepared to upload photos of the items required) :
Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection Rebate Form
Catalytic Converter Engraving Rebate Form
Complete the following steps:
- Check the requirements for each rebate and follow the steps.
- Fill out the Lakewood Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection or Engraving Rebate form (use the online forms, or the PDF form if you prefer to mail it in.)
- Include copies (or upload copies to the online form) of all of these items:
- Valid government-issued ID displaying your name and Lakewood residential address.
- Current utility bill (water, electricity, gas, phone) registered in the name and Lakewood address on your valid government-issued ID, dated within 60 days of when you submit your application.
- A copy of your current vehicle registration, matching your government-issued ID, showing the vehicle's license plate number and VIN.
- A photo of the same vehicle's license plate displaying current vehicle registration tabs.
- Reside in the City of Lakewood and have a valid government issued ID displaying your City of Lakewood residential address.
- Have a current utility bill (water, electricity, gas, phone) registered in your name to your City of Lakewood residential address, matching the Lakewood address on your valid government issued ID. Your utility bill must be dated within 60 days of when you submit your application.
- Have proof of current vehicle registration matching your name and residential Lakewood address on your current government-issued ID, showing the vehicle's license plate number and VIN.
- Personally own the vehicle in which the catalytic converter anti-theft device was installed and/or personally own the vehicle in which the vehicle's VIN was engraved onto the catalytic converter.
NOTE: If applying for rebates for more than one vehicle registered to the same address, please provide the registration information for each vehicle.
To be eligible for the catalytic converter engraving rebate ($25 per vehicle, up to two vehicles per household):
- Engraving must be professionally done onto the catalytic converter by an automotive service business or auto repair center.
- You must submit a photo of the installed catalytic converter with matching vehicle's VIN engraved on the catalytic converter in plain view, with each letter/number of the VIN written clearly and easy to read.
To be eligible for the catalytic converter anti-theft protection rebate ($50 per vehicle, up to two vehicles per household):
- You must have (or had) a catalytic converter security shield or 'CatClamp' lock installed on your vehicles catalytic converter on or after March 22, 2022.
- You must submit a copy of the sales receipt for catalytic converter security shield or 'CatClamp' lock purchased on or after March 22, 2022.
- You must submit a copy of the installation receipt for the same item referenced above and installed on or after March 22, 2022.
NOTE: The total combined purchase and installation amount must be $150 or greater, before applicable taxes and fees.