Aquatics in Lakewood
The City of Lakewood operates two public swimming pools and six wading pools throughout the summer season.
The season begins in late May, with pre-summer swim lessons and recreation swim starting Memorial Weekend.
Each swimming pool typically offers a variety of swim instruction programs, recreational swim opportunities, and adult fitness classes including Aqua Zumba and Shallow Water Aerobics classes. Check the current recreation catalog for information.
Lakewood swim classes coincide with the Red Cross Certified Swim Classes and offer instruction in these categories:
- Youth: For infant/preschool children ages 6 months to 5 years, and Levels 1-6 for ages 6-15 years
- Adaptive: Introduction to water and swimming lessons for those with special needs (ages 3-17), such as hearing or visual impairment, developmental disabilities and special physical needs.
- Semi-private: Maximum three students per class. Limited time slots scheduled.
- Adult: For ages 16 and older. Four one-hour lessons are typically offered for a two-week session.
Registration is available to everyone online at www.lakewoodcity.org/ecatalog or in person. Residents enjoy priority early online registration for swim lessons.
For the current schedule and registration deadlines of all aquatics offerings through Lakewood's recreation catalog, please visit www.lakewoodcity.org/aquaticsprograms.
Off-season swim opportunities
Additional swim opportunities are offered in the off season through Lakewood Aquatics. For details and to register, go to www.lakewoodcity.org/ecatalog and enter "Lakewood Aquatics" in the search box.
Lakewood Swim Cards are issued free with proof of Lakewood residency. (Bring your old card to simply renew it.) Cards are available at either pool during summer operating hours. In order to enter onto the pool deck, you must pay the entry fee. For fees and complete information, see the current Aquatics schedule.
Swimmers must meet the following qualifications to enter the pool:
- Unaccompanied swimmers are required to be at least 48 inches tall or have a valid Minnow Red Cross (Level 4) swimming card. Youngsters not meeting this requirement must be accompanied in the pool area by an adult (18 years or older) on a one-to-one basis.
- Approved swimsuits are required. No cut-off pants, leotards, sweats or basketball shorts. No shirts, rash guards only. No water shoes.
- In order to enter onto the pool deck, you must pay the entry fee.
- Accompanied adults not attired in swim wear must remain off the pool deck, but are allowed in the bleachers or grass area.
- Swimmers with long hair must tie their hair in a pony tail.
- No toys, inflatables, water wings or life jackets (except Coast Guard approved) allowed in the pool.
- Swim diapers must be worn by all children four years and younger and are available for purchase at the pool.
Wading pools are free and are typically open from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., for youngsters ages 3-7, from mid June to early September.
- Palms – Handicapped accessible
Open Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
- Del Valle
- San Martin
Open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday:
- Mae Boyar
Wading Pool Wednesdays
The wading pools at Mae Boyar, Del Valle, Mayfair and San Martin parks are typically open from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings from late June to late August.
Wading pools are usually open on the weekends from late May to late September between 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.