Protect yourself from garage thefts
There’s been an uptick in thefts from garages in our region. Many times the thefts happen when garage doors are left unlocked or vulnerable.
Tips to protect yourself include:
• Close and lock garage doors at night and when you’re not home. And close the door when going back and forth between the garage and your home
• Close and lock windows and side doors.
• Install a sturdy lock on the main garage door. Two locks are better. Use heavy duty chain/padlocks as they’re more difficult to cut.
• If you need to answer the door when you’re in your garage, don’t leave your garage open when you step away. This is a form of “knock-knock” burglary where the homeowner is preoccupied with someone at the front door, and a second burglar goes into the unsecured garage to steal undetected.
• When your garage is open, it’s an advertisement of your belongings. Keep valuables out of sight or towards the back of the garage.
• High value items that are targeted: tools, bikes, motorized scooters and electronics.
• If you have security cameras, remember to aim one at your garage.
• If you park your car in your garage, still lock your car.
• If your garage has a door to the interior of your home, always keep that door locked.
• Doggy doors can be used to get into garages. Keep those secured when away from home.
• Be a good neighbor by giving friendly reminders to those who leave their garages unsecured or opened.